Madame Gazelles’s room bears the name of the owner who, nearly a century ago, created and planted the park’s paths. Its three windows, including that of the bathroom, open on the largest cascade, antique gingkos, and the gardens.
At the village of Montolieu (15 min. from Carcasssonne), a gorgeous ancient industrial site shaped by a Napoleonic forge, and textile mill; at road’s end, alongside a river with nature as sole neighbour. Newly renovated amenities provide the best to relax in the South of France.
– A location marked by history with a unique park, beautiful all year round; in a location protected by Natura 2000 and listed by Parcs et Jardins de France for the domain's river, waterfalls, exceptional and ancient trees (planted in the 1800's), highly prised flower/herb/citrus garden, and impressive waterworks;
– The refreshing sound and temperature of water running through a river, three waterfalls, and several waterways ;
- Winner of the best tourism garden in Aude (2012) and chosen as one of the five "must see" gardens of the region to see by the French Minister of culture in 2012.
- Open year-round.
- A baby “umbrella” bed can be arranged for 15 € the length of your stay.
- A minimum of two nights is required to book in advance for the months of July and August.
- Please note that, with our growing reputation in the area, advanced booking is advised...
- Breakfast is included with the price of the room and is served from 8am to 10am (includes: teas, coffee, homemade breads and jams, yogurts, cereals, fruits, and local dairy products).
- For those who wish a bit more, we do serve a brunch that includes the normal breakfast as well as: eggs, bacon, cheese, and meats for 5 euros per person (available upon request 24hrs. in advance).
- While the area boasts of many "starred" restaurants which one can visit, the Forge's growing reputation of its own table d'hôtes, with menus prepared for lunch or dinner, using local and organic products, enhanced by herbs, fruits/veggies and flowers from the gardens, all served with carefully chosen local wines, allows for our guests to completely relax with all that our area has to offer.
As far as dining on site, we serve the following:
- A simple menu for 20 € per person featuring: entrées, all you can eat home-made pizzas , and dessert.
- For more discerning clients, we offer a "bistronomique" menu at 35 € per person, including: entrées, main course, cheese & salads, and dessert.
- Each menu uses fresh and local produce and ingredients; both also include a glass of wine per person (which can be completed by a selection of fine local wines from our wine cellar - available a la carte and at an additional cost depending upon your choice).
Montolieu is located in the Cathar country of the Aude region of the Languedoc-Roussillon. This area, still relatively unknown, offers a great diversity of beautiful landscapes. It is mainly compared to Toscana in Italy (both regions look very much alike with hills and valleys). Near of the mountains, you will find interesting places to visit such as Carcassonne & Narbonne, the Mediterranean coast, the Canal of the Midi, several fortified Cathar castles and a wonderful natural setting of fields of sun flowers, lavander and grapes - all to pull you away from your daily routine.
– At 3 kms ; Montolieu, Village du livre (15 bookstores, museum, artists, art center, tennis courts, and an open swimming pool).
- 15 minutes to the center of the world renounded walled city of Carcassonne, heart of the Cathare Country and its history.
- All with a place to stay outside of city-life with all of the comforts of a 5 star hotel with the plus of landing in a home rather than an expensive box...
- At a reasonable distance there are the cities of Toulouse (90 mn), Albi (2hrs), Montpellier, Barcelona: the Spanish border (Figueras and the Dali’s museum) is only at two hours drive from Montolieu. The Mediterranean ocean is at about 1 hr away...
The hosts, Charles Cowen, photographer, gardener and musician, and Laure, book dealer at Montolieu – “Village du Livre”, greet their guests with a warm welcome, in a relaxing and family-oriented surroundings. Charles Cowen devotes his culinary talents to his guests, preparing refined and flowery meals with fresh organic local ingredients. Guests who love books as much as good food can also wander through Montolieu to load up their book bags at Laure’s store, “La Lettre volée”, or at the fourteen other book stores of the village...
We live in Montolieu - a book town with 15 bookshops, artists and we are just 20 minutes away from Carcassonne. Also, nestled in Cathare castle country and the Languedoc wine region - it serves as a great base to explore the area.
Bed and Breakfast
Montolieu, Languedoc-Roussillon, Frankrike